lemon buttermilk chess pie. Chess pie is a Southern favorite. The creamy filling has a hint of flavor from tart lemon and rich vanilla. This buttermilk-lemon chess pie recipe is a Southern classic with a rich, custardy filling and an easy, flaky pie crust.
Add melted butter, lemon zest and juice, buttermilk and vanilla to egg mixture, mixing to blend thoroughly after each addition to prevent lumping. Lemon buttermilk chess pie is all about bringing the south to you. No one seems certain where the name for this type of pie comes from. You can have lemon buttermilk chess pie using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of lemon buttermilk chess pie
- You need of pie crust.
- It's 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It's 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of chilled butter.
- Prepare 3 1/2 tbsp of ice water.
- Prepare of pie filling.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It's 1 of greated lemon.
- Prepare 1 of fresh lemon juice.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It's 2 large of eggs.
- Prepare 2 large of egg whites.
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk.
Mix flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add butter; pulse until pea-size pieces of butter form. This Southern buttermilk chess pie has a pleasant tang from the buttermilk and lemon juice. The pie crust can be homemade or purchased.
lemon buttermilk chess pie instructions
- preheat oven on 425°F..
- mix 1 cp flour, 2T sugar, and salt in a bowl. cut butter into flour mix until a coarse meal, add 1 T- ice water at a time mixing with a fork.until all the ice water is added. mix well with a fork till moist, .press into a circle (4"inch ) on a heavy duty plastic wrap, cover the top with a peice of plasic wrap, roll dough to 12 inch circle. freeze dough for 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed..
- remove plastic wrap, fit into pie plate, 9" pie plate.spray cooking spray into pie plate, bake pie crust 10 minutes, take out and set to side..
- u will baking the pie on 350, cover the pie edges with foil..
- mix sugar, flour, lemon rind, lemon juice vanilla,eggs and egg whites in a bowl, mix well with a wisk.stir in buttermilk.mix well ...now pour into pie crust. cover the edges with foil and bake for 40 minutes, take foil off after 30 mintes. let cool on wire rack. let cool completely ,slice 8peices, and enjoy.
This pie, with the hint of lemon in the filling, is delicious with freshly whipped cream and shreds of lemon zest or top it with a big dollop of frozen (thawed) whipped. Chess pie, or "chest pie," may have gotten its name from the small, tin-roofed cabinets that used to be common in kitchens for storing cooling pies and other baked goods. This buttermilk-lemon chess pie recipe is a Southern classic with a rich, custardy filling and an easy, flaky pie crust. Chess pie is a traditional southern dish, a very simple pie not a custard but is compared to a cheese-less cheesecake! This lemon version is made with buttermilk and is a simple and delightful end to a Easter brunch or dinner.