Kolokithokeftedes (Greek zucchini balls). Looking for a traditional Greek kolokithokeftedes (zucchini/ courgette balls) recipe? Find out how to make this Cretan feta and courgette dish from scratch! Traditional Greek Kolokithokeftedes are a popular Cretan ouzo meze, found in most of the islands taverns and restaurants.
Greek Zucchini Fritters w/ Feta, called 'Kolokithokeftedes' are a perfect pairing of fresh, summer zucchinis, feta cheese and tons of fresh herbs, like dill and mint. So the literal combination of the two, 'kolokithokeftedes,' is translated to Zucchini meatballs, or loosely Zucchini Fritters. A delicious Greek recipe for light and crispy zucchini and herb fritters that are not oily or greasy! Κολοκυθοκεφτέδες - Μαγειρεύοντας Ελληνικά / Zucchini balls - Traditional Greek Way! You can have Kolokithokeftedes (Greek zucchini balls) using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kolokithokeftedes (Greek zucchini balls)
- It's 4 of zucchini (large).
- You need 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- It's 1/2 cup of kefalograviera (grated) or other hard cheese.
- You need 1 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It's 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of mint (chopped).
- It's 1/2 cup of dill.
- You need of salt and pepper.
These zucchini balls are a great appetizer and can be served with tzatziki or marina sauce for dipping. When I went to Greece on vacation last year, at one of the restaurants we went to we decided to skip having a main course and we ordered a bunch of mezes or appetizers to share. Recipes of Crete and Greece: Kolokithokeftedes (Courgette- or Zucchini-Balls). It was an easy, yet impressive choice to make.
Kolokithokeftedes (Greek zucchini balls) instructions
- Grate zucchini and use cheese cloth to squeeze out as much water as possible. Don't be lazy!.
- Finely dice onion and saute till translucent. Beat eggs, set aside..
- Sift flour with baking powder, set aside..
- Combine zucchini, sautéed onion, mint and dill, grated cheese breadcrumbs and flour. Add eggs. Mixture should be able to keep shape. Refrigerate mixture or adjust amount of breadcrumbs..
- Form small - medium size balls or patty and deep fry till golden brown color. Serve with tzatziki.
Kolokithokeftedes are fried patties of mashed courgettes or zucchini (kolokithia), other vegetables depending on preference, flour and egg to stick the mix together. These unbelievable delicious traditional Greek zucchini patties are made with plenty of herbs and feta and are so easy to make. Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, and that is probably not a popular choice, I know. But, hold on, in Greek cuisine they are somehow transformed from a watery. traditional Greek squash fritters / kolokithokeftedes. Kolokithokeftedes are a popular Ouzo meze in Greece, found in most of the Greek taverns!