Easy Sweet-Salty Teriyaki Simmered Chicken Wings and Daikon Radish.
You can have Easy Sweet-Salty Teriyaki Simmered Chicken Wings and Daikon Radish using 9 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Easy Sweet-Salty Teriyaki Simmered Chicken Wings and Daikon Radish
- It's 7 of to 8 Chicken wings - the midsection and the tip.
- Prepare 1 small of Daikon radish.
- Prepare 1 of thumb-sized piece Ginger (sliced).
- You need 1 of just a tiny bit so you can barely taste it Garlic.
- Prepare of Teriyaki Sauce.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of + 1 tablespoon to finish Soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of + 1 1/2 tablespoons to finish Mirin.
- It's 3 of heaping teaspoons Sugar (brown sugar).
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Sake (use real sake, not cooking sake).
Easy Sweet-Salty Teriyaki Simmered Chicken Wings and Daikon Radish instructions
- These are the ingredients..
- So to start... the daikon radish. Start cooking it in cold water. Whenever you cook any root vegetables including daikon radish, always start from cold water. Cover with a lid..
- Don't refresh the daikon radish in cold water after they have been cooked until tender. Leave to cool in the cooking liquid. This is the key to keeping them juicy..
- Wash the chicken wings well. If you look at them closely, you'll see some feather ends left in there. Let's pull them out..
- Ginger and garlic. You know that you should add ginger right? Ginger, chicken and sweet-salty flavors go together so well after all. Just add a smidgen of garlic..
- OK Let's start simmering. Use a large wide pot so that the ingredients overlap as little as possible on the bottom. Put the flavoring ingredients plus about 2 cups plus (400 ml) of water in the pot..
- Start cooking over high heat. Bring to a rolling boil, then throw in the chicken wings. (work quickly from now on)..
- Put the daikon radishes pieces in a single layer, cover with a small lid or a piece of aluminium foil that sits right on top of the pot contents (otoshibuta or drop lid). Turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Take the lid off and add the ginger and garlic. If you add them at the start the taste will be a bit harsh. Replace the lid, and cover the pot with a regular lid..
- Keep simmering over medium heat. The liquid will bubble up under the drop lid, and the ingredients will cook in the bubbles, so don't turn the heat down too low..
- Since the chicken wings cook quickly, and the daikon radish is precooked, it takes less than 10 minutes for the simmering to be done..
- The liquid will start reducing right away. When everything has a nice color, let's finish up. Add the additional mirin (1 1/2 tablespoons) and soy sauce (1 tablespoon), take the lid off and turn the heat up to high!.
- Since there's sugar in the cooking liquid, once you raise the heat up it will caramelize and thicken fast. Keep cooking until the bubbles are quite big (indicating that the liquid is pretty concentrated)..
- Shake and swirl the pan from left to right and side to side to coat all the ingredients with the sticky sauce Toss to turn over the ingredients 1-2 times. Coat everything very well..
- Can you see that the daikon radish is just brown on the surface? By simmering them quickly, both the chicken and the daikon radish retain their natural flavor and juiciness..