Mabo Dofu. The Japanese-style Mapo Tofu (Mabo Dofu) is incredibly flavorful but less spicy than the Sichuan-style. Chinese Mabo Tofu. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. This mapo tofu recipe is the true blue, authentic real deal—the spicy, tongue-numbing, rice-is-absolutely-not-optional mapo tofu that you get in the restaurants!
Mapo tofu (麻婆豆腐, ma po dou fu) is one of the most popular classic Sichuan dishes. It has a spicy, pungent, and appetizing flavor that goes perfectly with steamed rice. Mapo Doufu, or Mabo Tofu (マーボー豆腐) is a popular Chinese dish in Japan. You can have Mabo Dofu using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mabo Dofu
- You need of Flour-Water Slurry.
- You need 1/4 c of flour.
- Prepare 1/3 of to 1/2 c of water.
- It's of Seasoning.
- It's to taste of (sea) salt.
- It's 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/4 c of dashi (dried Japanese fish stock) or 1-2 tbsp of miso or 1-2 chicken bouillion [this is really to taste, since it's used to add the most savory flavour].
- It's 1 pinch of turmeric powder (for color) OPTIONAL.
- You need 1 pinch of paprika (for color) OPTIONAL.
- You need 2 tbsp of ground chili or 1 tbsp of fresh spicy pepper (I use habanero) OPTIONAL.
- It's 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- It's of Filling.
- Prepare 4 of baby bok choy, sliced or diced.
- It's 1 1/2 stalks of celery, sliced or diced.
- You need 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It's 1 1/2 box of soft tofu, cut into small cubes.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of ground beef or other (about beef/pork/turkey: be sure to "cut" into small pieces when cooking so you don't end up with meat clumped together).
Sweeter and less spicy than the Sichuan original Mabo Tofu. Mapo tofu (Chinese: 麻婆豆腐; pinyin: mápó dòufu) is a popular Chinese dish from Sichuan province. It consists of tofu set in a spicy sauce, typically a thin, oily, and bright red suspension, based on douban (fermented broad bean and chili paste) and douchi. Mabo Tofu (or Mapo Tofu) is one of the very popular Chinese dishes in Japan.
Mabo Dofu instructions
- In a small bowl mix the water and flour, gradually adding the flour. Be sure that it's not too thin or too thick. Set aside mixture for later. Note: It should feel like you've added a bit of water to some honey, still somewhat thick but moves a lot smoother..
- In a pan, add some oil and saute the meat until brown. Season lightly with salt. Add the veggies and cook till soft, then add the tofu last. Note: Garlic and spicy pepper should be cooked last among the vegetables to avoid burning..
- Add your seasonings, then the flour-water slurry and mix thoroughly immediately. If it seems like it's too thick, add some water to thin it out. When everything has thickened up nicely and sticks together more or less, it's done! Serve over rice..
- THIS IS NOT A STEP; if you feel that the ingredient list is way too long then just go with a basic mabo dofu recipe using just the ground meat, your choice of veggies and the dashi, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt. That's really all you need, everything else is just my preference, such as the habanero..
Tofu in a garlicky, spicy meat sauce is vey tasty, and it goes very well with Steamed Rice. If you've reached this point your sauce should be prepared and at Final Thoughts. And that's how I make Japanese-style Mabo tofu! Beef, beef broth, chicken, chicken broth, garlic, ginger, green bell pepper, green chili pepper, green onion, ground black pepper, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, onion, pork shoulder, potato starch, salt, sesame oil, soy sauce, tofu, vegetable oil, vegetable stock. This video will show you how to make Mabo Tofu (Mapo Tofu), Tofu in a garlicky, spicy meat sauce.