Bierock. Bierocks (pronounced bee-ROK) are yeast-raised rolls that are filled with a savory filling. They originated in Eastern Europe and are very common among German immigrants to the US. A bierock, also known as a runza, is a soft yeast roll stuffed with ground meat, cabbage, and onions.
Bierocks Recipe photo by Taste of Home. 🎦 Bierock. My family is German so I used to eat bierocks as a kid and this is the first time since my childhood that I have eaten them. The bierocks we ate in Nebraska were rather bland and one-dimensional. You can have Bierock using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bierock
- Prepare of Dough.
- Prepare 2 C of warm milk.
- Prepare 2 packets of active dry yeast.
- It's 4 of Tblsp granulated sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 6 of Tblsp unsalted butter, softened.
- It's 2 of large eggs.
- You need 5 1/2 C of Flour, plus some for rolling.
- You need of Filling.
- You need 1 of large sweet onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 lbs of ground beef.
- You need 1 head of green cabbage, coursely chopped.
- It's to taste of salt and pepper.
There had to be a way to build a better bierock. By By David Hammond. Последние твиты от Bierock (@BierockMadison). Bierocks - Old Fashioned Volga German Hamburgers Recipe. German Bierocks from Food.com: German Bierocks are made by combining ground beef, chopped cabbage and lots of seasoning all.
- Start by making the dough. In a medium mixing bowl combine milk, yeast, butter, salt, sugar, adding the eggs last. Set aside..
- In a large mixing bowl measure out the four. Using a whisk, or fork stir flour making a nice loose powder..
- Stir the wet ingredients thoroughly and dump into large bowl of flour. Using your hands miss and knead into a soft dough. Maybe slightly sticky..
- Butter the sides of the large mixing bowl. Roll the dough in the butter. Cover and set aside for about an hour to double in size..
- Start the filing..
- In a large stock pot, over medium to low heat add chopped onion and ground beef to pot. Cook until the ground beef is lightly browned..
- Slowly stir coarsely chopped cabbage into the stock pot of meat. It will be a lot. Cook until cabbage it's soft. Remove from heat..
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Gently flour a surface to roll out your dough. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper..
- Punch down the dough. Pinch off enough dough to make a dinner roll. Pat both sides of dough on floured surface. Roll into a rectangle, or circle. Either works. You don't want to see through the dough..
- Spoon mixture into the center of your rolled out dough. You can add cheese, extra toppings, or spices as you like. Pull dough around filling. Pinch to seal dough. Place sealed side down on parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat until you are out of filling or dough..
- Bake in center of oven for about 25 minutes, our until light golden brown. Pull from oven. Brush with butter. Serve warm..
Note: To freeze, cool completely, and wrap individually in foil. Place wrapped bierocks in a heavy-duty zip-top. Bierock is a yeast dough pastry pocket sandwich with savory filling, originating in Eastern Europe Other spellings are bieroch, beerock, berrock, bierox, beerrock and kraut bierock in the U. For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for Bierock. Bierocks are meat-filled pocket pastries originating in Eastern Europe, possibly in Germany or Russia, as the dish is very common among the Volga German community in the United States and Argentina.