Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them). This cabbage roll is made differently & contains no tomatoes. My Mom had a few specialty dishes and this was one of them. She learned how to make cabbage rolls with a sweet & sour sauce My Pop didn't like that sauce or tomato sauce on them.
Growing up in Pittsburgh most of the weddings I went to as a kid were ones where the families Often my Mom's best friend (and neighbor) would come over and help us. Often they'd split the bounty and ingredients. My mom makes the best cabbage rolls. You can have Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them) using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them)
- You need 10-15 of cabbage leaves, steamed or boiled until rollable.
- Prepare 2 lbs of ground chuck or leaner meat if you prefer.
- It's 1 lb of ground sausage, I use unseasoned pork sausage.
- Prepare 1 cup of uncooked rice, I use brown rice but use any you like.
- It's 1 of medium to large onion, I use a large yellow onion.
- It's 4 of large eggs.
- It's 4 TBS of ketchup.
- It's 1/3 cup of milk.
- It's 1 of small handful of dry bread crumbs.
- You need 2 TBS of dried parsley.
- It's 1 TBS of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 of & 1/2 TBS dried oregano.
- Prepare 2 tsp of garlic powder.
- It's 1 of salt & pepper to taste.
- It's 1 can of tomato juice.
- Prepare 2 of small cans diced tomatoes.
She calls it her secret recipe but I told her that she's held the secret long enough and it was Two years ago, my in-laws were here visiting for Christmas. My mother-in-law brought a huge batch of homemade cabbage rolls and stored them in. The Typical Mom is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed I hadn't ever had a stuffed cabbage roll at all until I met my husband. He raved about this dish his grandmother used I love cabbage rolls but they are so time consuming.
Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them) instructions
- Dice onion small, put in big mixing bowl. Add everything in bowl except cabbage, tomatoes, tomato juice. Mix with hands thoroughly.
- Once meat mixture is combined put about 4-6 heaping TBS in middle of cabbage leaf, roll like a burrito.
- Place in large roasting pan seam side down. Continue this until all mixture is used.
- If you have extra cabbage dice it & scatter on top the rolls..
- Pour tomato juice over rolls to cover them, pour diced tomatoes evenly over top..
- Cover & place in oven at 350° until cabbage is cooked to your liking & rice, onion is cooked completely.
- You can also make these in the slow cooker but I'm not sure of the times, I just cook until done. Also you can cook in oven at 250° for about 4-6 hours until done..
- My family & I are addicted to them! Also a little bit of advice, these taste better if you let them sit in the juice covered for about 20-30 minutes after pulling from oven! Even better advice is they always taste better as leftovers... I like to serve with mashed potatoes or crusty Italian bread but they are equally delicious alone! I hope you'll enjoy them!! :).
Cabbage rolls were one of my mom's favorite things to make, so I knew I had to share this recipe when she said they're better than hers. You don't know Daryl, but that is basically the highest compliment I will ever receive in my culinary adventures. They add sauerkraut to the tomato sauce and don't include carrot. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are often considered the most comforting of dishes, so much so that every Eastern European country wants to stake claim on owning the original recipe. While there is no definitive origin story, the prevailing story is this: members of the Russian aristocracy, visiting France.