Eggplant Parmesan. Eggplant parmesan is one of those great Italian comfort foods—a layered casserole much like lasagna but with slices of globe eggplant taking the place of pasta. Eggplant slices are dipped in egg and bread crumbs and then baked, instead of fried. The slices are layered with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Growing up, I was not a huge fan of eggplant. This Baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe is lightened up a bit with baked (instead of fried) panko-crusted roasted eggplant, and layered up with a zesty combination of marinara, cheeses and fresh herbs. This Italian-style eggplant Parmesan recipe is lighter than most—it's made with roasted eggplant slices (not fried) and no breading. You can cook Eggplant Parmesan using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Eggplant Parmesan
- You need 1 each of eggplant.
- It's 1 each of marinara sauce.
- It's 1/2 packages of angel hair pasta.
- You need 1 each of fresh tomato.
- It's 1 cup of italian bread crumbs.
- It's 1 of egg.
- It's 1 dash of cayenne pepper.
- It's 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1 dash of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese-grated.
What does eggplant parmesan taste like? Eggplant parmesan tastes very similar to regular chicken parmesan. In something like eggplant parmesan, the eggplant flavor itself isn't even really tasted. One bite of Eggplant Parmesan and you'll be sold.
Eggplant Parmesan step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice eggplant about 1/2 inch thick. I cut mine lengthwise.
- Whisk egg in a bowl. In desperate bowl add breadcrumbs, cayenne and garlic powder..
- Dip eggplant in egg then breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes. Flipping halfway through.
- Heat marinara sauce on low with freshly diced tomatoes just until warm.
- Boil water for pasta. Once cooked, drain..
- Once eggplant is done put it in the bottom of a small oven safe dish, top with marinara, sliced butter and mozzarella. Bake for 5 minutes on 350°F then turn oven to broil, broil for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling..
- Place cooked pasta on a plate and top with eggplant marinara mixture. Add grated parmesan on top. Enjoy!.
To make legit eggplant parm, you'll need to fry eggplant. And to yield the best results, you're going to want to let it sit for a bit with salt to draw out. Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious classic Italian favorite! Tender eggplant is breaded in crispy breadcrumbs, then laid in a delicious bed of marinara sauce, topped with parmesan cheese. This easy eggplant parmesan recipe is not only delicious, but also healthy.