Mike's Sausage Eggplant Parmesan. Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan is a fun, easy twist on eggplant parmesan - these baked eggplant "boats" are hollowed out and stuffed with chicken sausage, tomato sauce and mozzarella. Eggplant parmesan is one of those great Italian comfort foods—a layered casserole much like lasagna but with slices of globe eggplant taking the place of pasta. The two things to keep in mind when cooking eggplant, especially firm globe eggplants, is that not only do eggplants hold onto moisture.
Add sausage and cook until no longer pink; drain. Chop briefly in food processor to break into small pieces. Stir into sauce; continue to simmer. You can cook Mike's Sausage Eggplant Parmesan using 33 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mike's Sausage Eggplant Parmesan
- It's of Meat.
- Prepare 1 1/2 lb of Italian Sausage [in casing].
- It's 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Prepare of Homemade Red Sauce.
- It's 5 medium of Roma Tomatoes [cut into 1" cubes].
- You need 1 can of 28 oz Crushed Or Stewed Tomatoes.
- It's 2 can of 6 oz Tomato Paste.
- You need 2 can of 15 oz Tomato Sauce.
- It's 1/3 cup of Fresh Garlic [rough chop-packed].
- It's 1 tbsp of Sun Dried Tomatoes [fine chopped-packed].
- Prepare 7 large of Basil Leaves [rough chop].
- It's 1/4 cup of Fresh Parsley [rough chop-loose pack].
- It's 1 large of White Onion [chopped].
- It's 2/3 cup of Fresh Celery [chopped with leaves].
- It's 1 tsp of Each: Italian Seasoning - Onion Powder - Salt.
- It's 1/2 tsp of Each: Black Pepper - Red Pepper Flakes Or Red Pepper Oil.
- It's 1 1/2 tsp of Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of Black Olives [halved].
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Cabernet Sauvignon [a quality bottle].
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Fennel Seeds.
- It's 1/4 tsp of Baking Soda [x 2 to decrease acidity if needed].
- It's of Eggplant.
- Prepare 2 large of Eggplants [room temperature-slice about 1/4" thick].
- Prepare 1 box of 8 oz Panko Bread Crumbs.
- You need 1 cup of Chopped Fresh Parsley.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Each: Garlic Powder - Onion Powder - Italian Seasoning.
- It's 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese [powdered in the bottle].
- Prepare 5 of Fresh Eggs [mix in separate bowl].
- It's 3 cup of High Heat Frying Oil.
- It's of Layer Toppers.
- You need 2 box of 8 oz Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Prepare 1 of Additional Fresh Parsley.
- You need 1 of Additional Fresh Basil.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk. Slivers of parmesan-ish cheese would probably be good on it. And I bet some sausage would be ok too if you didn't want it vegetarian. This roasted cauliflower sandwich from G by Mike Isabella is amazing. http.
Mike's Sausage Eggplant Parmesan step by step
- Canned goods and other items needed..
- Pull sausage from its casings and fry with 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, thick bottom pot..
- Add everything in the Homemade Red Sauce Section to that same pot and simmer for up to 3 hours, stirring regularly..
- After boiling your sauce for some time, if you find your sauce tastes too acidic, [you feel as though it needs sugar] add 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda to your boiling mixture, simmer and taste. Add an additional 1/4 teaspoon if you feel it's needed. Your sauce will foam up momentarily but no worries, it'll settle right down. Fine grated carrots will also calm any acidity if you don't have any Baking Soda on hand and you have the full 3 hours to simmer them down..
- Mix everything in your Panko Crumb Mixture Section except for the oil in a larger bowl and beat your eggs in a separate larger bowl..
- Slice [room temperature] Eggplants to about 1/4" thickness, dip in egg mixture, coat in seasoned Panko Crumb Mixture and fry on high for about 2 minutes on each side then drain on paper towels. Don't over fry but you will want crispy eggplants..
- Ladle Red Sauce on the bottom of a sprayed or non stick disposable serving tray. Lay fried Eggplant on top of that. Like making a Lasagne, add more sauce and Parmesan and lay more Eggplant. Repeat process until all Eggplant is positioned. Make this dish with as many layers as your pan can handle or create 2 levels and make two 9x12 pans worth. Top with Red Sauce, Parsley, fresh Basil and additional Parmesan Cheese..
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°..
- This recipe makes two 9"x12" sheets with two layers of Eggplant. Allow dish to sit for 3 minutes before serving. Try serving this with a wedge salad, garlic bread and a quality Cabernet Sauvignon!.
The eggplant was nice and thin and piled sky high. You can also order an eggplant sandwich to go. This eggplant parmesan recipe is a healthy way to enjoy the classic Italian flavors of a chicken parmigiana without the need of meat! While I love to order this dish (or a tomato and Italian sausage pasta dish), it was only recently that I started making eggplant parm at home. Delicious Baked Eggplant Parmesan with crispy coated eggplant slices smothered in cheese and marinara.