Eggplant Parmesan. Eggplant parmesan is one of those great Italian comfort foods—a layered casserole much like lasagna but with slices of globe eggplant taking the place of pasta. Eggplant slices are dipped in egg and bread crumbs and then baked, instead of fried. The slices are layered with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Growing up, I was not a huge fan of eggplant. This Baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe is lightened up a bit with baked (instead of fried) panko-crusted roasted eggplant, and layered up with a zesty combination of marinara, cheeses and fresh herbs. This Italian-style eggplant Parmesan recipe is lighter than most—it's made with roasted eggplant slices (not fried) and no breading. You can cook Eggplant Parmesan using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Eggplant Parmesan
- It's 2-3 of large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices. Try to only use the slices with seeds in them.
- It's 3 cups of flour.
- You need 4 of eggs, beaten with a splash of water.
- You need 4 cups of italian seasoned bread crumbs.
- You need 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil.
- Prepare of salt.
- It's 1 jar of your favorite italian red sauce.
- Prepare 16 oz of whole milk mozzarella cheese, freshly grated.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, freshly grated.
- You need of black pepper.
What does eggplant parmesan taste like? Eggplant parmesan tastes very similar to regular chicken parmesan. In something like eggplant parmesan, the eggplant flavor itself isn't even really tasted. One bite of Eggplant Parmesan and you'll be sold.
Eggplant Parmesan instructions
- Set up your dipping station. In separate mixing bowls, place your flour, egg, and bread crumbs in a row. Go down the row with each slice, covering with flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs. Continue until all the eggplant is coated. Pro tip is to keep one hand dry and one wet..
- In a deep frying pan, heat up 1/2" of cooking oil until hot, on medium high. Add 4-5 slices at a time, cooking both sides until golden brown. Layer paper towels over a plate and place salted eggplant onto the plate. Add paper towels to every layer to soak up excess oil. Continue frying all the slices..
- On a 9"x13" pan, add 1/2 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add one layer of eggplant, a layer of red sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue layering in eggplant, sauce, and then cheese. On the third and last layer do not add in the mozzarella layer. The last 1/3 of the cheese will be added later..
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add the last 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and fresh cracked pepper on top. Place back in the oven uncovered for 10 minutes, until top layer of cheese is melted..
To make legit eggplant parm, you'll need to fry eggplant. And to yield the best results, you're going to want to let it sit for a bit with salt to draw out. Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious classic Italian favorite! Tender eggplant is breaded in crispy breadcrumbs, then laid in a delicious bed of marinara sauce, topped with parmesan cheese. This easy eggplant parmesan recipe is not only delicious, but also healthy.