Okonomiyaki. Okonomiyaki (literally means 'grilled as you like it') is a savory version of Japanese pancake, made with flour, eggs, shredded cabbage, meat/ protein and topped with a variety of condiments. What is Okonomiyaki? (お好み焼き) It's a traditional Japanese food that is sometimes called "Japanese Pancake" or "Japanese Pizza". It's a savory dish that is a bit more.
Okonomiyaki - お好み焼き - is a savory Japanese pancake made with a light but substantial batter You see, okonomiyaki has a tradition of being topped with okonomi sauce, Japanese mayonnaise. Learn how to make Japanese street food at home with this okonomiyaki recipe! These delicious savory pancakes are filled with cabbage, scallions, and more. You can have Okonomiyaki using 21 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Okonomiyaki
- Prepare of Batter.
- You need 1 cup of flour (Okonomiyaki Flour if availible).
- Prepare 2/3 cup of water.
- It's 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 300 grams of Cabbage, cut into 3cm x 2-3ml strips.
- It's 2 of Green Onions, thinly sliced diagonally.
- You need 30 grams of Tenkasu (Tempura bits).
- It's 6 of Bacon/beef/cheese, cut into 8cm (3") pieces.
- Prepare of Optional.
- You need 100 grams of Raw shrimp cut into approx 1cm (1/2") chunks.
- Prepare 2 of Chinese sausage, cut diagonally.
- Prepare 30 grams of Beni Shoga (Pickled Ginger).
- Prepare of Toppings.
- It's 1 of Mayonnaise (Kewpie Mayonnaise if available).
- You need 1 of Aonori (Seaweed Flakes).
- Prepare 1 of Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes).
- Prepare of okonomi sauce.
- It's 1 cup of of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 cup of of Ketchup.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of of honey.
- It's 1/3 cup of of Oyster sauce.
With a history as rich as its flavor, Japan's "pancake/pizza/crepe/omelette" will fill you up and ensure you come back for more. This Okonomiyaki recipe is a framework for making a delicious traditional Japanese pancake Since Okonomiyaki means "cooked as you like it" in Japanese, I've listed a bunch of suggestions to come. Okonomiyaki - Japanese savoury pancake containing loads of shredded cabbage topped with egg, meat and bonito flakes. Eat with sweet sauce and mayonnaise!
- If you don't have all the ingredients don't worry you can do without everything or find replacements..
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and water until smooth.
- Add Eggs, Cabbage, Onions, Tenkasu, Ginger, Shrimp and Sausage and mix, but don't over mix..
- Oil a griddle that has been heated to 200C (400F) and add Okonomiyaki mixture divided into two pancakes..
- Using a spatula flatten and form pancakes until around 1.5cm (3/4") thick - approximately 30cm (12") across..
- Add Bacon/beef/cheese pieces to cover top of each pancake..
- After about 3 minutes, flip over pancake (bacon side down) and cook for 4 minutes..
- Flip pancake again (bacon/beef/cheese side up) and cook for 3 minutes or until firm and well browned..
- Mix the Okonomi sauce ingredients.
- Remove to plate and drizzle with Kewpie mayonnaise, okonomi sauce and sprinkle with Aonori and Katsuobushi..
- Eat quickly before someone near you takes your portion..
- source+variations - http://okonomiyakiworld.com/best-okonomiyaki-recipe.html.
Okonomiyaki is a cabbage pancake covered with Okonomiyaki sauce. Okonomiyaki is found anywhere in Japan, but is big in the Osaka area in western Japan where we are (proudly) from. Okonomiyaki (���D�ݏĂ�) is a popular pan-fried dish that consists of batter and cabbage. Selected toppings and ingredients are added which can vary greatly (anything from meat and seafood. Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite savory pancake, hands down! 'Okonomi' means 'what you like/want' and 'Yaki' means 'grill/broil'.