Malay Fish Curry. Hazel McBride shares the fragrant and spicy world of South African food in her recipe for Cape Malay fish curry. Step by step learn how to cook and prepare the most delicious fish curry using the techniques of the Cape Malay. If you have never tasted South African.
Learn how to cook Malaysian assam fish curry that tastes just like the one served in Malaysian Mamak stalls. Ingredients to Prepare Malaysian Assam Fish Curry. Slice fish into bite sized pieces and season generously with salt and pepper. You can have Malay Fish Curry using 23 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Malay Fish Curry
- It's of Halba Campur (Thalippu Spice Blend) recipe;.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Mustard Seeds.
- You need 1 tsp of Fenugreek.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Fennel Seeds.
- It's 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Black Gram (Ulunthu).
- You need of Main Ingredients;.
- You need 130 g of Sea bass fillet (mackerel is good too).
- It's 2 Tbsp of Curry Powder (see Malay Chicken Curry).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Halba Campur.
- You need 20 g of Shallots (finely chopped).
- Prepare 10 g of Garlic (finely chopped).
- Prepare 20 g of Ginger (finely chopped).
- It's 6 of curry leaves.
- You need 100 g of Potatoes (slice).
- You need 100 g of Tomatoes (diced).
- You need 2 pc of Tamarind slices.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Coconut milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Water.
- You need 2 tsp of Sugar.
- It's 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- You need 1 Stalk of Spring Onion (for Garnish).
Indonesian Chicken Curry With Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Turmeric, Ground Cloves, Red Chilies, Thai Chiles, Raw. Cape Malay Fish Curry is a community recipe submitted by susanvs and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe. Authentic South African Cape Malay Fish Curry recipe, with easy step-by-step instructions & resources to obtain traditional, often hard to find ingredients. Specially made for large variety of fish curry dishes including fresh water fish.
Malay Fish Curry instructions
- In a wok heat cooking oil on high heat. Fry the Halba Campur spice blend until fragrant. Then add the shallots, garlic and ginger and fry these until fragrant. Then add the curry powder and mix well until that is fragrant..
- Next add the tomatoes and potatoes and fry for 1 minute. After that, add 1/2 cup of water and cover with a lid. Let it stew for 5 minutes while stirring every 1 minute..
- Next turn down the heat to low heat. Add in the coconut milk, tamarind slices, curry leaves, sugar, salt and then mix well. Add in the fish and cover with lid for 5 minutes. Serve on a plate and garnish with spring onions..
- COMMENTARY; Black Gram that you use for this is the processed one and it is white in color. The Malay name for it is Halba Putih (White Fenugreek) which is wrong. You can substitute Black Gram with Nigella Seeds (Black Carraway) and this spice blend recipe is called Panch Phoron that is used in Northeast India (Bengal, Nepal).
It has its own special taste for those who loves extra hot and spicy taste. It is also suitable to use as an additional flavour to. This curry is definitely not an exact replica of what we were served Add the fish and prawns and stir. Curry fish was brought to the Cape from the East when the slave trade was still in operation. Today it is an immensely popular Cape Malay dish made by everyone around the world, and not only at Easter.