Hot cross buns. To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Place glaze in a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off; pipe a cross onto each roll. Stir and heat until very warm but not boiling.
Mix together the icing ingredients, and when the buns are completely cool, pipe it in a cross shape atop each bun. Tips from our Bakers Hot cross buns are a rather old English tradition, dating back to the Saxons who marked buns with a cross in honor of the goddess Eostre, the goddess of light, whose day of celebration eventually became Easter. Using very sharp scissors or a buttered slicing knife, slice a cross into the top of each bun. You can have Hot cross buns using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hot cross buns
- Prepare 2 cups of self rising flour.
- You need of Milk.
- Prepare 1 of tbp instant yeast.
- It's of I egg for egg wash.
- Prepare 5 of tbp sugar u can add according to how sweet you want it to be.
- It's 1 pinch of salt.
- It's 2 of tbp margarine or cooking oil.
The bun marks the end of Lent and different parts of the hot cross bun have a certain meaning, including the cross representing the crucifixion of Jesus, and the spices inside signifying the spices used to embalm him at his burial. They are now available all year round in some places. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. The lovely shiny finish on Hot Cross Buns is simply a mix of heated apricot jam and a touch of water.
Hot cross buns instructions
- Put the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well at the center then add in oil or melted margarine then mix.
- Add in milk.. Bit by bit till the dough is ready.. It should be soft and elastic cover the dough for 40 to 1 hr.
- Cut into smaller shapes arranging them in a baking tin cover again for 15 min then finaly egg wash and bake for 20 min at 160.
Just microwave to heat, mix until smooth then lightly brush onto the surface. Substitute with other jams, or honey, maple syrup, golden syrup or other shiny syrups. Tips for the BEST Hot Cross Buns! Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a line along each row of buns, then repeat in the other direction to create crosses.