Jamaican Jerk Chicken. Hot, succulent Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a tropical treat. You'll love the heat and flavor of this fiery Jamaican Jerk Chicken. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility. This jerk chicken recipe is from Paul Chung, who grew up in Jamaica and sampled jerk throughout the island.
It's incredibly flavorful thanks to hours of marinating in a vibrant and deliciously seasoned marinade. Jerk chicken is a traditional Jamaican recipe which consists in chicken marinated in a spicy blend for a few hours and then grilled on a BBQ. The history of Jamaican Jerk Chicken has been told so many times by so many people that to try to include this history in this article would be re-hashing the same thing over and over again. You can have Jamaican Jerk Chicken using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- It's 4 of chicken thighs or legs; bone-in.
- You need 5 bunch of scallions; trimmed.
- It's 4 of habanero peppers; tops trimmed.
- You need 1 of yellow onion; rough chop.
- It's 3 clove of garlic; minced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It's 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- It's 2 tbsp of ground allspice.
- You need 1 tbsp of fresh thyme; minced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ground coriander seed.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of white pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cloves.
- It's 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- It's 1 of juice and zest of one lime.
- It's 1 of salt.
Place on grill until crispy and cooked all way through. Jamaican jerk chicken on the grill recipe. Here's a fun bit of jerk history: the word jerk refers to a way of cooking that's popular in Jamaica. All varieties of meats and even vegetables are traditionally marinated in a paste.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken step by step
- Place all ingredients except chicken and oil in a food processor. Slowly pour in the vegetable oil while blades are spinning..
- Use half of the sauce to marinate the chicken from 4-48 hours..
- Wipe marinade off chicken and pat dry. Toss chicken with just enough oil to cover. Season with salt and pepper..
- If using a grill, set chicken skin side down to sear. Move chicken to a spot with indirect heat and baste chicken often..
- If cooking indoors, mark on a grill plate or sear the chicken skin side down in a large saute pan. Turn chicken over and baste with the remaining sauce. Throw the pan in a 350° oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°.
- Alternatively, place chicken skin side up in a casserole dish and cover with the remaining sauce. Bake at 350° approximately 50 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°.
Jerk Chicken - a well-seasoned grilled chicken with a Jamaican jerk marinade that has the perfect balance of heat, sweet and savory. You'll want to make this all year round! Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and and flatten it down to spread the chicken out as much as possible. The key to jerk chicken that tastes like it does in Jamaica is to use pimento wood on the grill and make sure your meat gets those dark, crusty edges. This recipe adapted from Jamaican cookbook authors.