Stuffed Bell Peppers w/ Sauce. Stuffed bell pepper recipes vary by region / origin and call for regional spices to be used. Most recipes however, lack a sauce to make this dish a hearty one. This recipe has a slight Mexican flavor to it, so feel free to experiment with your.
Since we're following a low carb diet, we still wanted to keep the flavors of traditional stuffed peppers but wanted to make them keto-friendly and with no rice. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cut tops off bell peppers; set tops aside. You can have Stuffed Bell Peppers w/ Sauce using 17 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Stuffed Bell Peppers w/ Sauce
- You need of The sauce ….
- Prepare 2-3 tbs. of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of large yellow onion, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 of jalapeno pepper, sliced thin.
- Prepare 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes, drained.
- You need 1 cup of brown gravy, ready-made.
- It's 1/3 cup of light brown sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar.
- Prepare Dash of salt, pepper, paprika, and dried thyme, & coriander.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped.
- You need 1.25 of lbs. ground beef.
- It's 1/2 of large yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large egg, lightly beaten.
- You need 1/3 cup of plain dried breadcrumbs.
- It's 1/2 cup of “cooked” white rice.
- You need Dash of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dried thyme.
- It's 4 of large bell peppers, seeded, and white ribs, stems removed.
Using a paring knife, carefully remove the membranes and seeds from bell peppers. Use red, green, orange, or yellow bell peppers (or a combo of colors) to make these beautiful bells stuffed with savory ground beef and rice. Chef John estimates, "Ninety-four percent of all stuffed peppers are made because there's leftover rice around. Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
Stuffed Bell Peppers w/ Sauce step by step
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan, add the onions and jalapeno pepper. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes until translucent. Add the tomatoes, brown gravy, brown sugar, vinegar, spices and fresh herb..
- Bring to a slight boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and set aside..
- Prepare the 1/2 cup of cooked rice in a small saucepan and set aside to cool. In a large pot, fill it about 2” with water and bring to a light boil..
- With a paring knife, cut the tops of the peppers. [Save the tops] Lightly trim the bottom of the peppers so that they stand straight and even. Scoop out the seeds and white ribs with a spoon. Lightly puncture a small whole in the bottoms from the inside..
- Place the peppers in the boiling water, reduce the heat, and cover with a lid. Steam them for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove, drain the water, and run the peppers under cold water. Remove the peppers from the pot and place upside down to dry and cool..
- Heat oven to 350˚..
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, onions, breadcrumbs, cooked rice, and spices. Add 1/3 cup of the sauce to the mixture and mix lightly with your hands..
- With a large spoon, fill the peppers with the meat mixture. Place the cut bell pepper “lids” on top of each to cover..
- Pour half the sauce mixture into a small or medium casserole dish. Place the peppers neatly into the dish and cover with the remaining sauce..
- Place the casserole dish into the heated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the dish from oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Serve the peppers in a bed of mashed potatoes, top them with the sauce and chopped cilantro..
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned. It may just be a difference in preference, but these weren't our favorite stuffed bell peppers. Stuffing with raw meat and baking yielded drier meat that was sort of caked together, rather than the crumbly, saucy peppers that we were hoping for. These top-rated stuffed pepper recipes are always delicious, and budget-friendly, too. Orzo and Chicken Stuffed Peppers "AMAZING!