Spiced Butternut Squash Soup. I have made it for several large groups and everyone always goes back for seconds. To save time and effort I recommend buying pre-cut Butternut Squash as those things are a pain to cut. Aged goat cheese is a key ingredient in this creamy soup from the Rif Mountains in northern Morocco.
The recipe for the spice blend makes more than you need. I first shared this butternut squash soup recipe back on the blog four years ago, but thought it was worth bumping it back to the top of the blog today in Then serve with lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro. Give it a Chai twist: See my recipe here for the yummiest chai-spiced butternut squash soup. You can have Spiced Butternut Squash Soup using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Prepare 32 ounces of Turkey Stock (Chicken broth can be substituted).
- It's 1 of Butternut Squash.
- You need 1 of small onion.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of cumin.
- It's 1/4 teaspoon of coriander.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds (for topping).
- You need 1/2 cup of queso fresco (for topping).
- It's 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
This Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is creamy and delicious, without being loaded up with heavy cream. It's easy to prepare, and the incredible flavor of the butternut squash really shines. I'd like to think this is the most elegant version of butternut squash soup out there. This vegan butternut squash soup with za'atar seasoning is a Middle Eastern take on the classic; this cozy soup also features sweet potato and carrot.
Spiced Butternut Squash Soup instructions
- Peel the squash and remove seeds.
- Cut into roughly 1 inch cubes.
- In a large pot, combine turkey stock and squash. Bring to boil..
- Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender. (About 30-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic. Saute onion in olive oil until tender. Add garlic, saute until lightly browned and fragrant..
- When squash is tender, use a slotted spoon to transfer to blender. Add about 1/4 cup of liquid from the pot. Remove center from blender lid and replace with a towel to allow steam to escape. Blend with onions and garlic until smooth..
- Add pureed squash back into pot. Add spices and stir well..
- Return soup to gentle simmer and let flavors develop in covered pot for at least 30 minutes but up to 2 hours..
- Stir well before serving and top with pumpkin seeds and cheese..
Butternut Squash is my favourite of the winter squashes so it's only fitting that this is the first of my more wintery recipes. Not only is the recipe delicious it's also very budget friendly to make. Earthy, fragrant spices like allspice, cloves, and cinnamon make wonderful accents for the natural sweetness of butternut squash. This butternut squash soup has a secret ingredient—a tart green apple. It adds just the right balance for How to Make this Butternut Squash Soup.