Homemade Classic Cinnamon Applesauce. Make your own delicious unsweetened applesauce with just apples, water & cinnamon. We love making homemade applesauce because it's simple and the kids love it! My grandma's recipe for her classic homemade applesauce.
Let me just say - don't mess with my Grandma. Add the cider (or water) and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the apples are very soft. You can have Homemade Classic Cinnamon Applesauce using 6 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Homemade Classic Cinnamon Applesauce
- Prepare 1 dozen of medium-large apples.
- It's of Cinnamon powder.
- It's of Sugar.
- Prepare of Vanilla extract.
- You need sticks of Cinnamon.
- You need of Maple syrup.
Choose from classic, cinnamon, or mixed berry! Applesauce is one of the most underrated side dishes. It's just after the first few days of fall, and already I'm aching to dive headfirst into apple picking, leaf raking and pumpkin pie In the meantime, though, I think I'll keep making homemade applesauce from apples picked from the overflowing bushels at local markets. Recipe adapted from Jewish Holiday Cookbook.
Homemade Classic Cinnamon Applesauce step by step
- Wash, peel (or leave skins on if you like), core (if you like) and cut apples into 1-2 inch pieces and boil for 60mins or until apples are softened. (Cook longer for smoother and shorter for chunkier).
- Use a strainer to separate apples from liquid (save liquid if you want to use for homemade apple cider!) Smash apples to desired consistency!.
- Add cinnamon and sugar, syrup, cinnamon sticks, vanilla extract and/or any other favorite flavors!.
- Place in Baking dish, cover and bake at 375° for 20-30mins or until bubbly around the edges..
- Serve Warm or Cooled or Store for later! Enjoy!.
Put the sauce into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste the applesauce and adjust sweetness as desired with honey. Serve it chilled on its own or as a warm side dish. To give your applesauce an extra-spicy kick, stir in a heaping tablespoon of ground cinnamon along with the other added ingredients. Applesauce cinnamon ornaments have a certain charm to them.