Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou. Chickpea spinach curry is tastier and healthier than any take-away, at a fraction of the price, and is also impressive enough to serve if entertaining, with some crispy cauliflower pakora as a starter. Even my kids go crazy for this mild curry, although feel free to increase the spice if you like it hot. These super fast Curried Chickpeas with spinach are packed with flavor and nutrients, vegan, gluten-free, and filling!
For this post, due to my curry addiction, I naturally chose this curry recipe from the book. This Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Coconut Curry was so delicious and comforting. Heat the curry paste in a large non-stick frying pan. You can have Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou
- It's 2 tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- It's 1 tin of plum tomatoes.
- Prepare 6 blocks of frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and squeezed to release excess water) or 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, torn into pieces.
- It's 1 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Nigella seeds.
- It's 1 tsp of Cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 of Cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 4 of Cardamom pods, lightly crushed.
- You need 1 tsp of ground Coriander.
- You need 2 tsp of ground Cumin.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Tumeric.
- It's 1/2 tsp of ground Ginger.
- Prepare 3 of fat cloves Garlic, crushed.
- You need 2 of onions, thinly sliced.
- It's of Rapeseed oil.
- It's of Salt and black Pepper.
- You need of To serve:.
- Prepare 100 g of Plain Yoghurt.
- You need 1 tsp of Mint Sauce.
- Prepare of Naan Breads (I cheated and bought some!).
- Prepare of Chutneys, I love Lime Pickle and Aubergine Chutney.
Lots of fresh spinach brings the green to this chickpea dish, and curry livens up the flavor. Got some tins of chopped tomatoes and chickpeas in the cupboard, but stuck for inspiration? Try this wholesome veggie curry featuring spinach and potatoes. Curry powder gives this side dish a taste of India.
Chickpea and Spinach Curry #newyearnewyou step by step
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When the oil is hot add the Cumin seeds, Nigella seeds, Cinnamon stick, Cardamom pods and Yellow mustard seeds. Stir and allow spices to release their fragrance for about 30 seconds. They will start to pop!.
- Add the onions and fry until a deep golden brown and caramelised. Add the crushed Garlic and cook gently for a minute. Stir occasionally to prevent the Garlic from browning..
- Add the ground spices, stir, then add the Plum Tomatoes and break them up into pieces..
- Add the drained Chickpeas, give them a good stir to coat in all of the spices and tomatoes. Add about half a tin of water to loosen. Bring to the boil, cover and then turn down to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Check every now and then to make sure the Chickpeas don't dry out. Add a splash more water if needed..
- Once the curry is a lovely thick, saucy consistency check the seasoning and add some salt and black pepper to taste. Then add the spinach, give it a good stir and cook for a few minutes. If using fresh Spinach allow it to just wilt and then serve..
- Serve with your favourite Naan breads, Chapatis or rice with a serving of Mint Yoghurt (blend the Yoghurt and Mint Sauce together) and some lovely chutneys. I love Aubergine Chutney and Lime Pickle..
- A lovey addition is a few crispy onions. Finely sliced onion, squeezed dry in kitchen paper and then deep-fried in hot Rapeseed oil for a few.
- Minutes, until crisp and golden brown and then drained on Kitchen paper to blot off the excess oil. I often make a batch to keep in the ‘fridge to top various meals and add extra crunch and Umami flavour..
A white-hot combination of curry powder, chickpeas, and real vegetables is exceptionally made tangy and cooked to smooth perfection. Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A quick delicious Indian-style curry with spinach, chickpeas, onions, and/or whatever veggies you have. I have added cauliflower, potatoes, and sweet potatoes to this recipe in the past. Last up we have my curried chickpea bowls with garlicky spinach.