Hearty Manila Clam Rice.
You can have Hearty Manila Clam Rice using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hearty Manila Clam Rice
- Prepare 600 grams of Manila clams.
- It's 720 ml of Rice.
- Prepare 100 ml of Sake.
- It's 3 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- It's 1 tbsp of Mirin.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Sesame oil.
- You need 1/2 of Burdock root.
- You need 1/4 of Carrot.
- It's 1 of Aburaage.
- You need 1 of Shredded nori seaweed, red pickled ginger.
Hearty Manila Clam Rice step by step
- Clean the manila clams by rubbing their shells together, and wash them well. The shells may break if you rub them together too hard, so be gentle with them..
- De-gritting the clams. Pour 3 % salt water (30 g of salt for 1 liter of water) into a shallow container, spread the clams as much as possible so that they don't overlap, and leave them for 1 hour..
- Shave the burdock root, soak in vinegar water, then drain well..
- Cut the carrot into thin strips. Set 5-6 of the smaller clams aside to cook with the rice..
- Wash the rice well, and drain in a sieve..
- Steam the clams with sake. Heat 100 ml of sake in a pot, and bring it to a boil to evaporate the alcohol. Add the cleaned clams..
- Transfer to a shallow container as the clams open. The clams won't taste good if you overcook them, so transfer to the container as soon as they open..
- When cooled, remove the meat from the shells of 2/3 of the clams. Set the broth from the clams aside for later use..
- Pour the sesame oil into a frying pan, and stir-fry the burdock root and carrot. When they are cooked through, add the aburaage, soy sauce, and mirin, and simmer for 2 minutes over medium heat..
- Put the rice into a rice cooker, and add the clams that you have set aside in Step 4 on top. Add the broth from Step 8..
- Add the burdock root, carrot and aburaage on top, and add water as you would normally to cook the rice..
- When the rice is cooked, add the clam meat from Step 8, and stir to combine. Close the lid and let steam for 2 minutes, and it's done..
- Garnish with shredded nori and beni-shouga to finish!.
- It's best to de-grit the clams overnight. Refer tofor de-gritting and de-salting the clams..