Split Pea Soup.
You can cook Split Pea Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- You need 1 lb of dried split peas.
- You need 1 of meaty ham hock with bone.
- You need 2-4 strips of Bacon and bacon grease.
- Prepare 1 TBS of Chicken drippings or chicken bouillon.
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced carrots.
- It's 3 stalks of chopped celery.
- It's 1 of medium sweet onion chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of cream.
- Prepare 2 TBS of butter.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need 8 cups of water.
Split Pea Soup step by step
- Sort through peas, clean them of any debris..
- Put peas and ham in large pan cover with 8 cups of water..
- Add onion.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Simmering for about 1 1/2 hours. Stirring frequently..
- Remove ham bone cut ham from bone and dice putting both both and meat back into the pot..
- Fry bacon, add grease to pot put bacon aside to crumble into soup later..
- Add carrot and celery. Simmer another 30 minutes..
- Add butter, cream and bacon crumbles. Stirring well add salt and pepper to taste. About 1 to 1 1/2 tsp each. I use less salt and let it be salted to taste by each person. Simmer another half hour stirring frequently and serve..