Leek and potato lumpy soup. Potato leek soup, or potage parmentier, is a French classic. It's one of the first dishes I learned to make in culinary school, right after a proper omelet, because it's an essential base soup in French cuisine. Add watercress for potage au cresson, serve it chilled for Vichyssoise — or top it with bacon.
To make this soup, cook chopped leeks in a little butter, then add diced potatoes, stock, and herbs. Leek and potato is always delicious served with crusty bread and butter for dunking. Blend the soup in a food processor until smooth (or keep it lumpy if you prefer). You can have Leek and potato lumpy soup using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Leek and potato lumpy soup
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves- diced.
- You need 2 of celery stocks.
- It's 1/4 cup of salted butter.
- Prepare 2 large of leeks.
- Prepare 6 medium of potatoes.
- Prepare 1 liter of chicken broth.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
Leek and Potato Soup is a thick and creamy French soup that's cosy and comforting and also ideal for elegant dinners. Garlic butter base, croutons on top! Potatoes - use starchy or all rounders, they fall apart when simmered which means less blending for creamy soup = less risk of gluey soup*. 🇦🇺. Whip up this simple soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort - it has a beautiful silky texture.
Leek and potato lumpy soup instructions
- Add butter, garlic, celery, and leeks into pot to saute. Medium heat.
- Once sauted add chicken broth and potatoes..
- Cook on high heat. Bring to a boil. Turn down to medium. Until potatoes are soft. About 30 minutes..
- Mash/whisk soup or purée. ( If you want more texture then mash is suggested).
- Add cream as you whisk or purée..
- Let reduce for 10 minutes. On low heat..
- Just an additional tip: I made it so the potato to leek ration was about 50/50 in the pot if your wondering what to consider for potato size..
This delicious potato and leek soup comes together in just a few minutes. To check the potatoes, poke one with a paring knife: If the knife cuts through with little resistance, you can take the pan off the heat. Potatoes - Go for a fluffy potato, Maris Piper or Russet potatoes if you are in the US work best. I always peel the potatoes for this soup. Vegetable Stock - To keep this soup vegan and gluten-free I use a vegan and gluten-free stock, of you can get a stock that is low sodium that's great too.