Smoked mussel and saffron soup. None in my experience suffer more than smoked mussels. Oddly shaped, they seem to be conjured from some But put mussels in a can and you wreck everything that's lovely about them: Usually smoked, these sad morsels lose their delicacy and become chalky. This smooth creamy soup with saffron and makes the best dinner-party starter.
While the soup cooks, pick the meat from the mussels. Discard the shells and any mussels that haven't opened. Season, to taste, with the lime juice and salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can cook Smoked mussel and saffron soup using 17 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Smoked mussel and saffron soup
- You need 2 lbs of fresh mussels.
- You need 500 ml of fish stock.
- You need 500 ml of white wine.
- You need 500 ml of clam nectar.
- It's 2 sprigs of lemon balm.
- Prepare 2 stalks of lemon grass.
- It's 2 tsp of saffron.
- Prepare 2 cups of apple wood chips.
- You need 5 sprigs of thyme.
- Prepare 1 litre of heavy cream.
- Prepare 2 strips of bacon.
- Prepare 125 ml of mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 of carrot.
- You need 1 of shallot.
- You need 1 stalk of celery.
- You need 1 of baby Yukon gold potato (aka golden nugget).
- Prepare 2 of gherkin pickles.
Serve the soup in bowls, scattered with the remaining mussels and garnished with a swirl of the remaining. While the soup is cooking, remove the mussels from the shells and put aside. Add the Maldon Smoked Sea Salt, black pepper and the mussel meat (if you are using frozen mussel meat, there's no need to defrost them). The Best Smoked Mussels Recipes on Yummly
Smoked mussel and saffron soup step by step
- Put white wine, lemon balm, thyme and lemon grass in a sauce pot and reduce by half.
- Place saffron in 1cup of steaming hot water cover and put aside..
- Smoke 10-15 mussels in a skillet. Do this by placing the wood chips in the skillet dry and bringing to a smoulder. Wrap the mussels in tin foil, poke some holes in it and place in the skillet with the wood chips. Cover and smoke for 5-10 mins..
- Once shells have opened, remove meat, place in a blender with the clam nectar and blitz!.
- Combine all liquids except saffron in a sauce pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to a simmer and liquid to 3/4 of original amount..
- Strain saffron tea through a fine sieve into the broth. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You should now have a vibrant yellow and Smokey broth..
- Fine dice the carrot, shallot, celery, potato and bacon. Sweat until soft and set aside to cool..
- Once all is cool, fine dice the gherkins and mix all together with mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You now have remoulade..
- In a covered sauce pan add saffron broth and enough mussels for 3 mussels per person to be served. *I use clams as well to add variety and texture..
- Place a spoon full of remoulade in the center of a shallow soup bowl..
- Once the mussels have opened in the broth, place them around the remoulade and add the broth..
- Garnish with a nice green herb of your choice and enjoy.
- Chili oil is an optional garnish that adds to the smokey flavour and brings an element of heat to the dish..
Green Curry Mussels With Sticky Rice, Brodetto, Mussels Basquaise Style. A simple Mussel and saffron soup recipe for you to cook a great meal for family or friends. Make this luxurious mussel and saffron soup for an easy but impressive dinner party dish, with fresh mussels cooked until tender in a rich and creamy broth. Delia's Mussel and Saffron Soup recipe. This is a smart soup, great if you're entertaining, and now that the mussels come with much of the cleaning and scrubbing already Stir in the saffron and leave it to infuse.