Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese). This thick and chunky potato soup is made with the addition of ham. It's a hearty soup and very quick and easy to prepare and cook. Stir well; add cheese and ham.
Potatoes: I highly recommend making this soup with buttery Yukon gold potatoes. But russets or red potatoes would also do. Cheese: I recommend a good sharp cheddar cheese here for maximum flavor. You can cook Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
- You need 16 of small red potatoes, or 8 medium russet, or whatever potatoes enough to equal that.
- You need 1 lb. of box Velveeta Cheese or store brand, whatever flavor you like.
- Prepare 1-2 of onions any kind, depending on how much you like onions. (Obviously use more than 2 if you like pearl onions, just get at least a lb.).
- It's 1 (16 oz.) of container of sour cream, or more depending on if you like it creamy.
- Prepare 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted margarine or butter.
- You need 1 cup of instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand is my favorite).
- It's 8 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or make it with 8 cups water and 8 bouillon cubes) plus ~4 cups extra water (enough to cover).
- Prepare 1 lb. of fresh sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- It's 1 lb. of cooked cubed ham (approximately).
- You need 1 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- Prepare of Crackers and bacon bits (optional).
Greek yogurt or sour cream: To make the soup extra-creamy. This easy and cheesy potato soup is made with ham. It is the perfect recipe to use up your Josh makes this soup after every big holiday because we always end up with leftover ham. Pro tip-use pre-shredded cheese to make the recipe even easier.
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) step by step
- Wash and cube potatoes (1 inch thickness and add them with seasoning, carrots and ham to a covered ~12 qt. pot to boil over medium to medium-high heat in the broth until tender. (I like to cheat here and microwave the potatoes before I cut them up to help them along). Make sure you add just enough extra water to cover ingredients (~4 more cups). Stir occasionally..
- Sauté over medium heat, onions and celery in margarine or butter just until tender and add the to the pot..
- After potatoes are really fork tender (may need to taste one), melt the cheese in the microwave or a sauce pan following package directions. (I cube it and microwave 1 min. stir, 1 min. stir and 1 min. more and stir in a splash of milk to loosen it up if necessary). Add to pot and stir..
- Add instant potatoes to pot and stir until dissolved..
- Add sour cream to pot and stir..
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup thicken by simmering over low heat, probably ~10 mins depending on the amount of extra water added..
- Sit back and relax, you’re done, enjoy with/without real bacon bits and/or crackers (I like Ritz)..
If you have leftover ham, you can put it in the. Potato Soup loaded with chunks of tender, hearty potatoes and made with a rich and creamy soup Tips to Perfect Potato Soup. With potatoes, ham, cheese, scallions, and yummy spices, this soup is FULL of flavor! How to make Ham Potato Soup: Not only does it have simple ingredients, but the process for This is one of those recipes we are making a LOT after Thanksgiving. It's perfect to make with all the leftover ham.