Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup).
You can have Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) using 27 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
- It's 2 lbs of chicken thigh (boneless).
- Prepare 2 L (8 cups) of water.
- It's 4 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 5 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 2 of lemon grass (the white part only), bruised.
- You need 1 inch of dried galangal.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks, chopped.
- Prepare 3 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- You need of Grind the following into spice paste :.
- It's 7 of shallots.
- You need 5 of garlic cloves.
- You need 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It's 2 teaspoon of ginger powder.
- Prepare 2 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- It's 1 teaspoon of ground cummin.
- Prepare 5 of candlenut.
- You need of Accompaniments and Garnishes :.
- Prepare Glass of noodle, soaked in hot boiling water until soft then drained.
- It's of Shredded cabbage.
- It's of Cooked rice.
- You need of Homemade potato chips (optional).
- Prepare of Scallion stalk/chives, finely chopped.
- You need of Shrimp crackers, process in a food processor until they get powdery (optional).
- You need of Fried shallots (optional).
- It's 6 of hard boiled eggs.
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) instructions
- In a frying pan, heat 3 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the spice paste, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and galangal until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning..
- Turn the heat off. Transfer everything from the frying pan to a slow cooker. Add chicken, water, chopped celery, salt, sugar and white pepper. Set on low. Cook for 6 hours. Taste and adjust salt/pepper as needed..
- Take the chicken out and let them cool. Shred the meat..
- How to serve : Prepare bowls, add into each bowl some glass noodle, some shredded cabbage, some shredded chicken, 1 hard boil egg, garnish with some chopped scallion, fried shallots, potato chips and ground shrimp crackers. Pour in the soup. To make a more filling meal, it is common in Indonesia to serve Soto Ayam with a bowl of warm white rice. Sometimes I also add some fresh sliced tomatoes..
- I made sweet potato chips instead of potato chips. I sliced the sweet potatoes thinly using a 1 mm slicing blade in a food processor then soaked them in salt water for an hour then deep fried them. Do the same thing if you use potatoes..