Momma's Cabbage rolls. Momma Cherri treats you to a deliciously simple vegan recipe. Super simple to make, and it's even low carb, and keto diet friendly. My mom made the best Ukrainian cabbage rolls, simply filled with rice and bacon and cooked in a tomato sauce.
Allow toSimmer then add cabbage rolls. Cabbage rolls are one of those comfort food meals that is reserved for special occasions, but with a shortcut, it can be much less time-consuming. Instead of boiling the cabbage to wilt the leaves. You can cook Momma's Cabbage rolls using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Momma's Cabbage rolls
- You need 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beefand pork mix or whatever you prefer.
- You need 1/2 of grn pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 of red pepper.
- Prepare 1 large of onion chopped.
- You need 1 can of lg crushed tomatos.
- It's 1 can of lg. 16oz tomato sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of ground garlic or 3-4 fresh cloves mashed.
- Prepare 1 tsp of smoky paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of blk pepper.
- Prepare 2 of stalks celery.
- It's 1 large of cabbage of choice-- I like Savoy for rolls, makes it easier.
Tender cabbage leaves stuffed with rice, seasoned ground meats and a rich tomato sauce make Ingredients needed to make Mom's Stuffed Cabbage rolls. Growing up as poor as we were, Mom. Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, onion and rice, covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce and cooked in a Nutritional Information. This cabbage rolls recipe is SO German.
Momma's Cabbage rolls step by step
- If Im making rolls I start by taking the core out and separating leaves, can be done in boiling water, but dont cook them.
- As you take leaves off lay them to the side to cool so you can handle them easily. In the meantime, chop all veg into sm dice.
- Add all chopped veg to a large bowl with the ground meat in it!! Add the uncooked rice and spices and mix through with your hands til everything is well distributed, then add in half the can of crushed tomatosand mix in with hands!!.
- Now take your leaves and put a couple of tablespoons of rice mix in the cup part and roll up making sure to keep stuffing inside.Keep rolling til all mix is gone or leaves are too small to roll..
- Take outer leaves from cabbage and line the bottom of your roasting pan, then add a small amount of tomato sauce over the leaves. The add your rolls seam side down in your pan, layering as you go!! Now mix the rest of the crushed tomatos and tomato sauce together and pour over the top of all rolls making sure that each one on top gets some sauce on it..
- Cover with lid and bake in slow oven 275°F for about 5-6 hrs or on low in a slow cooker!! The longer these cook the better they are and they are even better reheated the next day if there are any left!!.
- I like to serve this with a nice fresh garden salad and huge dollups of sour cream!! I hope you Enjoy!!.
- If you are not into making rolls, just take your cabbage and chop into large chunks and add the other ingredients and cook "Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls".
Stuffed with meat and served with a brown gravy, this really is a family favorite. a great German food! These Kohlrouladen are the ones I grew up with. This cabbage roll is made differently & contains no tomatoes. My Mom had a few specialty dishes She learned how to make cabbage rolls with a sweet & sour sauce from her Hungarian sister-in-law. Ground Beef And Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipes.