Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them).
You can cook Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them) using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them)
- Prepare 10-15 of cabbage leaves, steamed or boiled until rollable.
- You need 2 lbs of ground chuck or leaner meat if you prefer.
- You need 1 lb of ground sausage, I use unseasoned pork sausage.
- Prepare 1 cup of uncooked rice, I use brown rice but use any you like.
- You need 1 of medium to large onion, I use a large yellow onion.
- Prepare 4 of large eggs.
- It's 4 TBS of ketchup.
- You need 1/3 cup of milk.
- You need 1 of small handful of dry bread crumbs.
- Prepare 2 TBS of dried parsley.
- It's 1 TBS of dried thyme.
- It's 1 of & 1/2 TBS dried oregano.
- It's 2 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1 of salt & pepper to taste.
- It's 1 can of tomato juice.
- It's 2 of small cans diced tomatoes.
Mom's Cabbage Rolls (My twist on them) step by step
- Dice onion small, put in big mixing bowl. Add everything in bowl except cabbage, tomatoes, tomato juice. Mix with hands thoroughly.
- Once meat mixture is combined put about 4-6 heaping TBS in middle of cabbage leaf, roll like a burrito.
- Place in large roasting pan seam side down. Continue this until all mixture is used.
- If you have extra cabbage dice it & scatter on top the rolls..
- Pour tomato juice over rolls to cover them, pour diced tomatoes evenly over top..
- Cover & place in oven at 350° until cabbage is cooked to your liking & rice, onion is cooked completely.
- You can also make these in the slow cooker but I'm not sure of the times, I just cook until done. Also you can cook in oven at 250° for about 4-6 hours until done..
- My family & I are addicted to them! Also a little bit of advice, these taste better if you let them sit in the juice covered for about 20-30 minutes after pulling from oven! Even better advice is they always taste better as leftovers... I like to serve with mashed potatoes or crusty Italian bread but they are equally delicious alone! I hope you'll enjoy them!! :).