Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup. Easy recipe for cabbage roll soup with ground beef, veggies, and rice. If you love cabbage rolls, but don't love all the work involved, this quick cooking cabbage roll soup is for you! Our recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls is an authentic family version, modified by four generations of Hungarian-American cooks.
Cabbage roll soup is simple comfort food that feeds a crowd! So hearty and filling and totally easy to throw together. We went to Minnesota last weekend to give my son his graduation present. You can cook Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
- Prepare 1 lb of bacon.
- It's 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 1 of onion, roughly chopped.
- It's 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- It's 1 Tbsp of paprika.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It's 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need 4 cups of low sodium chicken stock.
- It's 2 of Bou beef bouillon cubes.
- Prepare 28 oz of can diced tomatoes.
- It's 10 oz of can condensed tomato soup.
- It's 1 1/2 cup of V8 vegetable juice.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It's 1 Head of green cabbage.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of long or wild rice.
- It's of Parsley.
This cabbage roll soup is so hearty and filling and it's just what the doctor ordered on a cold day. When I make these, I use half ground round and half ground pork. I use shortening in place of the lard; although my husband would prefer the lard. I finally got around to it but instead I decided to go the easier route and made them in soup.
Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup instructions
- Cut your cabbage in half through the stem. Cut each half in half through its stem. Cut the stem out of the cabbage as a wedge. Cut the cabbage into roughly inch by inch pieces..
- Prepare the other ingredients. Combine the onion and garlic. Combine the paprika, black pepper, and thyme. Group the stock, diced tomatoes, soup, and juice. Measure the rice out..
- Add some oil of your choice to your pot and heat over high heat. Add the beef and brown..
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened..
- Add the tomato paste and the spices, and cook until starting to stick to the bottom..
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, V8 juice, beef bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the rice, stir, then add the cabbage. Cover and simmer 45 min..
- While the soup is cooking, fry the bacon (or bake at 375°F for ~20 min)..
- Crumble the cooked bacon and mince a handful of parsley. Add to the soup and serve.
Cabbage Roll Soup. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. View top rated Hungarian cabbage rolls recipes with ratings and reviews. Cabbage Roll Soup is perfect for people who love to eat Cabbage Rolls, but don't have the time (or patience) to make them. This week I'm participating in the Food Bloggers Challenge! I was tasked to create a recipe using the feature ingredient of the week.