Cabbage and sausage with sauerkraut. Sauerkraut is slowly simmered with brown sugar and apple to mellow out the tangy flavor, then baked with bacon and kielbasa sausage for a hearty German-inspired main dish that will warm you up. It is definitely worth the time and effort! Serve with hot German potato salad and red cabbage.
This is a tangy sausage and sauerkraut dish that reflects the hearty meals loved by German or Polish families. Rest assured, this is something your family will enjoy, too. The braised cabbage is often flavored with mushrooms, onion, or garlic, and other seasonings like bay leaf and paprika. You can have Cabbage and sausage with sauerkraut using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cabbage and sausage with sauerkraut
- You need 1 of medium onion sliced thin and chopped.
- It's 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of sausage sliced thin.
- It's 1/3 cup of If you have any ham scraps for seasoning throw in.
- You need 1 tsp of carraway seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 of +1/2 can of beer.
- Prepare 15 oz of sauerkraut with juice.
- It's 1/2 head of cabbage.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of pickling spice.
Cabbage And Sauerkraut With Smoked Sausage. Cut sausage into ¼" slices; set aside. View top rated Cabbage sauerkraut and sausages recipes with ratings and reviews. Cabbage Orzo And Sausage Soup, Sauerkraut and Sausage Casserole, Sauerkraut And Sausage, etc.
Cabbage and sausage with sauerkraut instructions
- Add olive oil and onions sausage and ham which is optional. Saute until till onions are clear..
- Add beer and cabbage and sauerkraut with juice and cook down cabbage..
- Add the remaining ingredients and seasonings. This is one quick pot meal that doesn't take much. Enjoy.
Shred the cabbage as you would for coleslaw and slice the onion thin. Saute in a little olive oil untill limp. Then in the same pan add the tomatoes, sauerkraut and seasonings. Cut the sausage into chunks and add to the pan. Sauerkraut with other cabbages: Red cabbage, napa cabbage, and other cabbages all make great sauerkraut.