New England Clam Chowder.
You can cook New England Clam Chowder using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of New England Clam Chowder
- It's 4-6 ounces of bacon, diced.
- You need 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped onions.
- Prepare 4-6 tablespoons of flour.
- It's to taste of Fresh ground black pepper.
- Prepare to taste of Thyme.
- It's 5 cups of cooked diced potatoes.
- It's 1 quart of half and half.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken broth (made from knorr homestyle stock).
- You need 3 (6 1/2 oz) of cans minced clams or 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chopped clams.
- It's 1 cup of clam juice.
- You need of Chopped Italian parsley.
- You need to taste of Fresh lemon juice.
- It's of Hot pepper sauce.
- You need of Salt.
New England Clam Chowder step by step
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, set aside to be used later.
- Add butter to bacon grease, when melted add onions and saute until golden.
- Stir in flour and cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pepper and thyme.
- Add chicken broth, half and half, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. (Be careful and watch that it doesn't cook above a simmer or very long!).
- Add clams, clam juice, parsley; simmer another 5 minutes; stirring occasionally..
- Add lemon juice, pepper sauce, and salt to taste.
- Serve with oyster crackers.