New England Clam and Shrimp Chowder.
You can have New England Clam and Shrimp Chowder using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of New England Clam and Shrimp Chowder
- Prepare 15 slice of pepperoni.
- Prepare 4 slice of bacon.
- Prepare 16 large of shrimp, shells removed and deveined.
- Prepare 3 medium of red potatos peeled and cubed.
- Prepare 1/4 stalk of celery,minced.
- Prepare 1/4 of of a carrot, minced.
- Prepare 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 large of carrots, sliced.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare 3 cup of chicken broth.
- It's 1/2 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 of juice of one lemon about 2 tablespoons.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It's 1 tsp of red hot sauce such as franks red hot.
- It's 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley.
- Prepare 50 of fresh littleneck clams,steamed in a large pot in 2 cups of bottled clam juice just until opemed, remove clams from shell, set aside ,keeo whole,and discard shells and strain clam cooking liquid and save.
New England Clam and Shrimp Chowder instructions
- In a large soup pot cook pepperoni and bacon until crisp, remove to drain on paper towels.
- Add the minced vegetables to the pot and soften adding a bit of butter if needed do not brown.
- Add wine to deglaze pan and cook until almost gone, then add clam broth, chicken stock, chopped onion, sliced carrot and celery, lemon, salt, pepper , thyme, potato, and red hot, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until all vegetables are tender and broth has reduced some. Skim off any excess grease from top of soup.
- Add cream and parsley and cook until desired thickness. Keep in mind this soup is not a real thick chowder just nice and creamy..
- Add shrimp and whole clams to soup bring to a simmer then Turn off heat cover and let shrimp cook through about 10 minutes. serve.
- This is a real New England chowder with our family addition of pepperoni and shrimp, its not super thick it is more of a creamy chowder with no thickeners. A regular growing up my Mother would make wild blueberry muffins from blueberries we picked to go with it!!.
- Add cooked crumbled pepperoni right before serving.