Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch.
You can have Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch using 5 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch
- It's 1 of fresh tomatoes (you'll need at about a dozen good-sized tomatoes for a pint).
- Prepare 1 of fresh basil.
- You need 1 of fresh garlic.
- Prepare 1 of olive oil.
- It's 1 of salt and pepper.
Spaghetti Sauce From Scratch instructions
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil..
- While the water is heating, Score an "x" into each end of each tomato using a sharp knife..
- Submerge the scored tomatoes, a few at a time, into the boilling water for about 20-30 seconds. (This will make it easy to peel the tomatoes.).
- Allow the tomatoes to cool, then remove the tomato skins..
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove the seeds and core. You want to remove most of the liquid in the tomato for a thick sauce..
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or dutch oven..
- Add garlic (smashed or chopped) to the oil, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Use 2-3 cloves for a small batch, or to taste..
- Add peeled and seeded tomatoes and stir, breaking them up as they start to break down..
- Add chopped basil and salt and pepper to taste. If it needs sweetness, add a little sugar or honey..
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down into a thick sauce. Depending on the number of tomatoes, this will take between 20 - 45 minutes. The longer you simmer, the thicker the sauce will be..
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator in pint jars. To preserve the sauce, process in a pressure canner on high for 20 minutes..